- Transitioning assessment systems
- Transitioning curriculum and instruction
The Tennessee Department of Education (TDOE) partnered with Measurement Incorporated (MI) to help transition Tennessee’s current writing standards to the new Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Writing. This transition involves: the creation of a new summative writing assessment aligned to the CCSS for Writing (TCAP Writing Assessment); the implementation of a voluntary interim writing assessment program to expose students, educators, and administrators to these new standards and expectations (ELA Pilot); the creation of web-based, teacher-focused trainings that both introduce these new assessments and educate teachers on how to score them; and multiple professional development opportunities on the transition to the CCSS through workshops lead by members of the ELA Leadership team, online resources through the newly developed “TNCore” website (www.tncore.org), and presentations at the annual LEAD Conference.
The Tennessee Department of Education (TDOE) will discuss:
- the transition to the TCAP Writing Assessment program from a decontextualized writing assessment to a contextualized writing assessment aligned to the CCSS for Writing and Reading and how this transition was meant to bridge the gap for Tennessee students and educators between the existing writing assessment and the 2014-2015 PARCC assessment.
- the inclusion of an online testing component for the new CCSS-aligned writing assessment.
- their efforts to educate their educators and expose their students to this new type of writing assessment through multiple professional development opportunities and a voluntary interim assessment program.
- the commission of web-based, teacher-focused trainings that both introduce these new assessments and educate teachers on how to score them.
- the plans for collecting data to determine the effectiveness of these education and exposure efforts.
Measurement Incorporated (MI) will discuss their role in TDOE’s education and exposure plan, including:
- collaborating on the development of the new CCSS-aligned 2013 operational writing assessment and the various components of the interim assessment program.
- partnering on the development of web-based, teacher-focused trainings that both introduce the new writing assessments and educate teachers on how to score them.
- participating in some of the professional development trainings/seminars facilitated by the TDOE.
- working with the TDOE, school systems, and schools to prepare them for an online administration of the 2013 TCAP Writing Assessment, including the administration of a state-wide technology readiness survey to determine online testing feasibility.
Through these transitional steps, the TDOE, in partnership with Measurement Incorporated, are working to thoroughly prepare students, parents, educators, and administrators for state-wide adoption of the Common Core State Standards, culminating in the upcoming 2014-2015 PARCC Assessment.